Thursday, August 2, 2018

New Free Word Trivia Game Gives You 10 Chances to Name the Star






By Bill Russo


Name That Star!

N.T.S. is a little word game where you are given ten clues to guess the identity of a famous person. He or she may be a movie star, singer, politician, or anyone else in the public eye.
 Success in the first guess yields a score of 100.  Each successive clue is worth ten points less, going from 90 all the way down to zero points if you fail to Name That Star!

Segment One:
Here are the clues, in the form of statements by the celebrity:
 (Your Free Clue: This star is a man.  He’s semi-retired but does make frequent public appearances.)

1   1.     “In July 1957, I listened to Elvis on the radio singing “Teddy Bear” by day; while at night I sang on stage with the new group I had just joined - (The Quarrymen).” 

2   2.     “My father gave me a trumpet, but I wanted to play guitar. Being left handed, I couldn’t figure it out until I saw a Slim Whitman poster and realized I could reverse the strings! The people who influenced me included Chuck Berry and Little Richard.”

3   3.     “In 1966 after enjoying great success, I wanted to write a song for a string quartet.  I ended up writing it for a string ‘octet’ and it surprised me when it became a huge hit. A noted critic said the song is "a neoclassical tour de force ... a true hybrid, conforming to no recognizable style or genre of song" I used a woman’s name for the title.”

4   4.     “In 1969 a rumour spread around the world that I had been killed in a car accident and yet I was still seen in my singing group.  People said that I had been replaced by a look-alike.”

5   5.     “The following year, 1970; with bittersweet feelings I left my old group and started a new band.  It was then that my music really ‘flew’ to new heights and directions.”

6   6.     “I can write songs about anything.  I penned some about eggs, pie, and strawberries.  I even wrote one about submarines.”

7   7.     “I am not Ringo Starr and I am not Pete Best, although like those two men, I did play drums on some Beatles songs, including Back in the USSR and the Ballad of John and Yoko.

8   8.     “Like most of the Americans my age, I was highly influenced by Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis.”

9   9.     “I was deeply involved in the Real Buddy Holly Story, a 1985 documentary film.”

1   10.   “I composed and sang ‘Yesterday’, perhaps my favourite of all the work I have done.”

Well that’s it for this installment of Name That Star! How did you do? If you guessed the correct answer on the first clue you score 100 per cent and are a genius.

If it took two guesses, you get a straight ‘A’, and are pretty, pretty smart at the game.

Three guesses is an 80. This would be a “B”, if we were giving letter grades.  It’s okay – but don’t be bragging about it. Try a little harder next time.

If you guessed the Celebrity on the fourth statement, you get a grade of 70.  You passed but just barely.  It’s recommended that you download and listen to Rubber Soul, Revolver, and the White Album for starters.

If it took you five or more clues to figure out that today’s guest celebrity is Paul McCartney of the Beatles and Wings: Go directly to jail.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect $200. 

But do try again in another edition of Name That Star.

Here in brief are the explanations to the statements ascribed to Sir Paul McCartney:
1. The Quarrymen, fronted by John Lennon, invited fifteen year old Paul to join them in 1957.  The following year George Harrison became part of the band.

2. Mostly self taught, Paul plays surprisingly well and has been considered a top bass guitarist. At the start however, he was confused how he, as a southpaw, could ever learn how to play a guitar.  After he saw that the strings of Slim Whitman’s guitar were reversed, he switched his and soon began making sweet music.

3. Paul’s octet for strings is the quirky and perky, “Eleanor Rigby”.

4. In 1969, it was indeed thought by many people that Paul had succumbed to injuries suffered in the crash of his ‘Aston Martin’ and was secretly replaced by a look-alike. On rapidly growing legs, the false report ran all around the world, only slowing down months later after many ‘live’ appearances and Paul’s personal interview, published in Life Magazine.

5.  In 1970, McCartney left the Beatles and his music soared in new directions with his latest group, “Wings”   

6. Among many other things, Paul wrote about Strawberry Fields Forever and a Yellow Submarine.

7. Statement 7 was designed as a curve ball to throw you off the track.  Ringo and Pete Best were drummers in the Beatles and so was Paul!  He actually did the drum work on at least four of the Beatles releases. He also played piano in some, including Lady Madonna in which he tried to emulate one of his early heroes, Fats Domino of New Orleans, USA.

8. We also tried to fool you in Statement 8, saying: “Like most Americans my age, I was highly influenced by Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis.” The idea was to get you to think that the mystery celebrity was American.  The statement is true – most American teenaged musicians were influenced by those artists; as were many young people from the UK, including Paul and the rest of the Beatles.

9. Paul was both the producer and the host of the Real Buddy Holly Story.

10. We threw you a softball for clue 10 because even if you didn’t figure it out before then, it’s safe to say that everybody in the world knows that Paul McCartney was the singer of Yesterday – the most ‘covered’ song on the planet.  To date more than 3,000 established musicians have recorded the tune, widely regarded as one of the best ballads ever written. 

Thanks for playing.  Play early and play often.

Full Listing of the ingredients in NTS:

Trivia: 100 per cent
Corn: considerable, but not from ears
Sugar: None
There are zero calories in Name That Star!



-0-

Segment Two: is a Segment To be posted at a future date.  Send e-mails to Billrrrrr@yahoo.com.  Write early and often and especially if you have something good to say.

-0-











No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers