Sunday, March 17, 2019

For Nurses - a Tribute to the Lady in White

This was the Nurse's uniform in the 1950s.  The cap, which is n longer worn, identified their nursing school.



Going through a pile of my old writings this morning, I came across this attempt at poetry from early 1958. It was an homage I did to the nurses who took care of me in 1957 when I had a near fatal TBI. I wrote this at age 15 during the month or so I was recuperating at home after being released from the hospital. 


THE LADY IN WHITE, by Bill Russo

There's no woman quite so inviting
and no one nearly as exciting
as the beautiful lady in white

There's no hurt she can't heal,
fix you, no matter how bad you feel
and make it seem the world is alright

She's fat and fifty, slim and seventeen
the most perfect female you've seen
that beautiful lady in white

she's old and she's young and filled with fun
she's a miracle or at least she seems like one
as she changes my dark sad room to bright

She'll fix your broken body just to start
and even mend your torn up heart
that beautiful lady in white-

By me, 60 years ago at age 15,  it was 
MY TRIBUTE TO ALL THE NURSES IN THE WORLD

c 1957 renewed 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers