Wednesday, September 4, 2019

I A'int Black and You A'int White



I never performed in 'Blackface' but being a child of the 1940s I attended minstrel shows. I also watched Al Jolson movies and saw him perform 'Mammy' in 'Blackface'. When I watched these things all I saw was entertainment and humor. Though I was only nine or ten years old the first time I went to a minstrel show, I knew the difference between humor and hatred, between racism and tolerance.  

I knew that the characters depicted did not represent an entire race of dark skinned people any more than 'Snuffy Smiff'  represented an entire race of light skinned people.



Before you judge somebody 'convicted' of such performances you need to understand the culture of the times.... also you should know that "I Ain't Black and You Ain't White"...



 I've made it a free read on Smashwords...click to read the true life story of how I found out I'm not black and you are not white. 

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/720718

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers