Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Back in 1964 after graduation from Grahm Jr. College in Boston, I knew that I did not want to work 8 hours a day at any job.

Spinning records for four hours a day sounded much better, so decided to take a job in radio. I went to the very first station that responded to my audition tape, WSJR at the top of the United States in Madawaska, Maine.

It was a great gig, but after two years I accepted a job in the Boston metro area, at WOKW in Brockton. The Mutual Radio Network billed itself as the biggest network in radio - but in truth, although it had over 500 affiliates, most of its stations were small and they did not have a station in Boston.

So sometimes, when there was a national story about the Red Sox or something else, the network would call me in Brockton, and I would do an audio report for them.

They would announce it by saying, Now reporting from Boston, Bill Russo for Mutual News - but in truth it was Brockton, not Boston! I was making about 80 bucks a week at the time, and Mutual paid me $15.00 every time they used my story - so it was a pretty nice little extra piece of change!


(The photo is not from my WOKW - it is long gone -some other station is now using the call letters. (Our jingle, sung by a group of four ladies was - "In the Know, On the Go - It's OK Radio!")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers